Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the winning entries to Chua Chu Kang Town Council’s (CCKTC) inaugural photo contest are proof that beauty can be found anywhere if one knows where to look.
CCKTC attracted 274 entries for the contest which invited residents to discover and show off picturesque spots unique to their town. Of these, 6 winning entries were selected to be featured in the 2021 CCK Town calendar.
Winners walked away with printers sponsored by Epson and cash vouchers from CCKTC.
We got the top 3 winners to share more about their winning entries.
1st Prize: Mr Yong Kuo Hoong, 38, teacher , West Ridges Resident
Tranquil sunrise in Kranji Dam
Mr Yong, a photography enthusiast, has been to Kranji Dam many times for night camps and visited it to see what sunrise might look like at the dam on the day he took this photo.
“On the morning of my shoot, I was lucky to find the two kayaks onshore and they anchored my shot nicely, in the water against the morning light,” Mr Yong said.
His wife spotted the ad of the photo contest on the lift digital panels and encouraged him to join. He took part because he wanted to show off some of the hidden gems waiting to be discovered and enjoyed in Singapore. Kranji Dam, where he has seen people kayaking, is one such spot.
Mr Yong was pleasantly surprised to win, as he felt there were many other good submissions. When asked for a tip from his successful win, he said patience is a quality all photographers must have.
Some of his other favourite spots in CCK are Sungei Buloh and Little Guilin.
CCK Town Council Chairman & MOS Ms Low Yen Ling presented the top prize to Mr and Mrs Yong
(Prizes won: Epson EcoTank L850 printer (worth $589) + $50 cash voucher)
2nd Prize: Mr Seto Zhenqiang, 35, analyst (Keat Hong Division)
A gentle morning mist floats over mystical Tengah
Second prize winner Seto Zhenqiang, 35, did not even have to step out of his home in Keat Hong Division to take his winning shot of the mystical morning mist over Tengah. He said: “I chanced upon [this scene] from my window and wanted to capture this rare and beautiful moment.”
The CCK resident of almost 20 years said his favourite places in the town are Lot One shopping mall and the park connector along Brickland Road and Keat Hong Mirage.
(Prizes won: Epson EcoTank L805 Epson printer (worth $449) + $50 cash voucher)
3rd Prize: Mr Wee Khang Ping, 43, education officer (Bukit Gombak Division)
Like a beacon of hope, this tree stands strong in Goodview Garden estate
For Mr Wee, beauty can be found everywhere, so his winning entry featured this hidden gem of a spot in Goodview Garden.
The decade-long resident of CCK said Bukit Batok Nature Park is one of his favourite places in the town.
(Prizes won: Epson PictureMate PM-520 printer + $50 cash voucher)
1st Prize EcoTank L850 ($589) + $50 cash voucher
2nd Prize EcoTank L805 ($449) + $50 cash voucher
3rd Prize PictureMate PM-520 + $50 cash voucher
4th to 12th will receive $50 cash voucher each
Top 3 printer prizes sponsored by Epson Singapore Pte Ltd
Terms & Conditions
1. This contest is open to all – Singapore citizens, PRs and foreigners.
2. Photograph(s) submitted BY the contestant must be original to and taken by the said contestant in Chua Chu Kang Town (Chua Chu Kang GRC and Hong Kah North SMC).
3. All entries must be submitted to https://www.facebook.com/307927513191611/posts/687502938567398/?extid=0&d=n or firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 November 2020. Late entries will not be accepted and shall be disqualified.
4. Photograph(s) should not include any objectionable content. The Organiser shall have sole and absolute discretion to decide on whether content is objectionable, and its decision is final. Photograph(s) deemed to be objectionable shall be disqualified.
5. This is a free contest with a maximum of 3 submissions.
6. The organiser reserves the sole and absolute discretion to exclude or disqualify any submission(s) and/or entry from the contest.
7. Photographs that are intended to be used for any kind of commercial purpose must not be submitted.
8. Digital manipulation that distorts the reality of the photographs is not allowed. Only basic enhancements such as sharpening, contrast adjustment, conversion of colour images to be black and white are allowed.
9. Each photograph entry must be submitted digitally in landscape JPEG format and be no larger than 5MB in size. The longest side of the photograph must be at least 2000 pixels in JPEG format.
10. By participating in this contest, the contestant warrants that he/she has not trespassed into any areas closed to the public and has put the welfare of the subject (if applicable) foremost and has not obtained the photograph via any unethical means.
11. Winners may be interviewed by the Organiser. All winners consent to public DISCLOSURE of their names and the results of the contest.
12. Upon submission, the contestant gives the Organiser (and their employees, representatives, agents, and those they work with) an irrevocable, royalty-free and non-exclusive worldwide license to:
a. use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations or adaptations);
b. communicate, publish, publicly display and distribute,
such photographs in any format or medium now known or later developed, including digital media, software-based or online formats on the internet and/or social media, for the Chua Chu Kang Town council’s publicity, promotional and/or marketing purposes.